Monday 28 January 2013

My MBA Classmate @sophie_collins writes a brilliant food and wine blog called Sip, Savour, Share. http://sipsavourshare.wordpress.com/ Hundreds of readers watch this energetic 20-something cook, travel, drink lovely wine, maintain a beautiful home AND pursue an MBA. When I was her age, I certainly did not have that kind of drive, vision or productivity under my belt. It's truly impressive.

Now, after having been married for 25 years, raising 2 daughters, working in a variety of not for profit organizations in British Columbia, I find myself back at the beginning to an extent. In September, 2012, I began an MBA at the Beedie School of Business, Simon Fraser University. As a person born in the last year of the Baby Boomer Generation (oh dear, I've given it away - born in 1964), I am experiencing education from a new point of view.

I hope to use this blog to explore some of the ideas - big and small - that present themselves through this MBA experience. Jettisoning the steady paycheque, the predictability of a working life is certainly a huge challenge. One thing I already know - I hate getting marked. My daughter is not so silently chuckling everytime I gripe about a test or a paper that I think should have been marked higher. "See!" she says, "it's really hard to just 'get over it'!"

Fundamentally, returning to school is about making a decision about priorities. I've always wanted to pursue an MBA - ever since I was 20-something. Only now that I'm almost 50-something am I being given the chance and that's a blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Laura - great start to your blog! I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete